Every Sunday, 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
The Congregational Care Ministry of FPCU is here to love and support the members of our congregation. We believe as Christians we are to love God and to love our neighbor (Mark 12:29-31), and we are here to share in that ministry with you.
The primary mission of the ministry is to ensure that the care needs of the congregation are met. There are several areas within Congregational Care that create opportunities for the congregation to care for one another: Care Home and Homebound Visitation, provide meals to the needy, provide after worship coffee and fellowship, Prayer Shawl Ministry, E-prayer Ministry, and provide memorial reception support, .
As ordained officers of the church, deacons are responsive to a variety of needs within our church family, and they stand ready to minister in many of life's transitions, challenges, and joys. Their mission is to serve our church family and the local community in the spirit of our Lord's ministry of healing and compassion. To learn more about these ministries and how you can be a part, contact Chris Gordon or call the church office.
Our Board of Deacons members are:
Cherie Alton, Sandra Applegate, Randy Colson, Tom Desroches, Gayle DeVries, Chris Gordon (Chair), David Head, Myrinda Head, Debbie Holland, Betty Hook, Sharon Ruddick, and Linda Logan.
2021 Deacon ministries include:
- Communion - We prepare the communion table for communion which includes set up and clean up.
- Memorial Reception Support - We provide food (light snacks) and hospitality for members' funeral receptions. We also offer information and comfort to the families as needed.
- Visitation - We visit members and friends in hospitals, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities; the homebound; and anyone else who needs a friend or listening ear and/or provide communion .
- Meals - We coordinate providing meals on a short term-term basis during illness, after hospitalization, during family emergencies, and also for new parents.
- Hands and Feet - We contact the homebound and help with specific needs (coordinated through church office).
- Kitchen Supplies - Orders/replenishes paper products, coffee, etc. as needed.
- Kitchen Clean Up - Cleans the refrigerators, cupboards, and other areas of the kitchen, as needed.
- Sonshine Ministry - Send out cards and notes of encouragement to those who are sick, the homebound, or a bereavement card for a death in the family.
- Ushers/Greeters - Coordinate/train volunteers for ushering and greeting during worship services..
- Deacon’s Care Fund - This fund is used to support the emergency needs of members, special initiatives, and local mission projects. It is funded through member donations. Whenever possible, prospective recipients are first referred to community services, to ensure good stewardship of the funds contributed by members.
- Nominating Committee - Assist with the nominating committee to nominate Elders, Deacons and Corporate Officers.
- After-Worship Coffee and Fellowship - The best way to connect and fellowship with other Christians is after worship services, where coffee, food and conversation are hosted by our Deacons.
PRAYER SHAWL MINISTRY ("Stitches From The Heart")
The Prayer Shawl Ministry team knits and crochets shawls and baby blankets in lively fellowship and prayer for those needing comfort and a reminder of God’s love. Both new and experienced needle crafters are welcome to join this team of caring hearts and busy fingers happy to teach newcomers. The group normally meets every Wednesday at 1:00 pm in the church library and ends each session by praying over completed items. Contact Caroline Crowley for more information or to get involved.
The E-Prayer team prays for persons with special concerns. This ministry supports those facing illness, bereavement, family crisis or other difficulties. The E-Prayer Ministry is truly a blessing to our church, to the members of the team, and to those who are receiving our prayers. We have seen the power of prayer at work, not only in our own lives as we pray for others, but in the recipients of the prayers. Through prayer we spread God’s love and because of prayer we are drawn ever closer to Him. If you would like to become a member of the E-Prayer team, contact Caroline Crowley and she will provide you with a form to fill out. You will then begin receiving prayer requests via email.